Monday, September 8, 2014

Banners & Embellishments

Yesterday I put together some banners and I'll take you through the steps. Super easy and so many ways to embellish.
I started with a good ole cereal box. The cheapest chipboard around. I want my banners sturdy so the cardboard adds that stiff backing.
I measured out 3x2" rectangles and cut them out with my rotary blade. Then I made the banner shape on one cut it with scissors and used it as a template on the others. 
Next I glued the banners onto sheets of old book paper, covering both sides. This old paper is extremely fragile, but once adhered to the chipboard, it is very sturdy.
Next I used my walnut distress stain and ink pad to color the edges giving the banners a nice distressed look.
To make the banners even more sturdy, I used a Crop A Dile Big Bite to add grommets to the pieces.
Next, embellishments! I pulled out some scrap paper my punches. I cut out a bunch of different shapes out of various papers. I also used my big shot and some thinlit dies for more shapes. Once I had a pile of shapes I inked the edges and started layering pieces.
I ended up with 16 unique embellishments perfect for different projects. These are great little pieces to use on tags, cards, layouts, mini albums and more. I used pop dots to give them extra dimension.
I picked out 5 from above and added them to my banner. The banner was strung with some jute to complete the look.
 
The banner was made to embellish a piece I was working on. I took an old drawer I found at a flea market and painted the bottom with chalkboard paint. I'll attach hangers to the back so it can be hung on a wall.
I also finished this little altered chalkboard. The banner here is made from washi tape. Another fun quick way to make a banner.
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Lisa in Texas said...

OMG, these are just awesome! I love the tutorial on the banners but most of all love the pieces you used them on!